Namasmarana: as extolled by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
- The one who makes ‘nama’ his abode and takes up his seat there becomes free from ‘knowingness’.
- The mantra is given by the Guru to give a name to the Self, it is not the name of a person. The mantra given by the Guru should be recited throughout the day.
- The merits of the ‘nama’ you recite will get formed in your memory, only recite the ‘nama’ given by the Guru.
- The more you do Namasmarana, the more it will purify the body and mind and it shall manifest in your speech, your word will be God’s word.
- Memory and ‘prana’ must get combined, and then there is knowledge. Namasmarana brings about this combination, but it has to be done with a great need and love. Namasmarana is done by the ‘prana’.
- Namasmarana should be done lesser with voice and more silently in the mind, only then it gets transformed into ‘dhyanyoga’ or meditation.
- In order to develop the ability to discriminate as to how and like what I am, Namasmarana has to be done throughout the day.
- Keep doing Namasmarana and then you will come to know how ‘nama’ goes on automatically and effortlessly.
- In order to destroy negative or evil thoughts continuous Namasmaran must be done, such thoughts pollute the ‘sattwa’ quality.
- According to my experience if Namasmarana is done in consonance with breathing, the mind automatically calms down and the state of ‘samadhi’ ensues.
- The Sadguru has given or initiated you into a ‘nama’ and meditation which enable you to meet God.
- The day the Guru gave you a ‘nama’ and told you that ‘you are not the body’ you are free from all humanness and there is no more birth for you.
The Nisargadatta Sadhana